History of the Jewish Federation
In 1922, a group of men and women established the Federation of Jewish Charities to provide for the social welfare needs of Jews living in the city of Camden.
In 1937, a merger of the Orthodox-led Ladies Aid Society and the Conservative-sponsored Jewish Welfare Society led to the creation of a new Federation which was designed to offer a coordinated approach in meeting the challenges of a viable Jewish community.
In 1938, the scattered Jewish residents along the White Horse Pike in Camden County appealed for help and their inclusion led to the Jewish Federation of Camden County.
In 1973, a second appeal for help came from a number of Jewish residents in Burlington County. They too requested that their community be a recipient of the programs and services sponsored by the local Federation. A merger of Camden and Burlington Counties led to the creation of the Jewish Federation of Southern New Jersey.
In 1983, the Jewish community of Gloucester County requested that their residents be included in the Federation service area. That summer, Gloucester County became affiliated with the Jewish Federation of Southern New Jersey and approximately 350 Jewish families became members of the Federation family.
In 1997 the Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Jewish Community Campus located at the corner of Springdale & Kresson Roads in Cherry Hill opened. It houses nearly all of the agencies of the Jewish Federation, and provides facilities, programs and activities to serve every member of our community.
Today the Jewish Federation provides services and resources to over 50,000 men, women and children. All are designed to meet most of the communal needs of each and every Jew living in Southern New Jersey.